FAQ for Current Students
How do I get started?
- ALL students must be enrolled as unofficial non-employees.
- The Martinos faculty member who will be supervising the student must contact Carol Barnstead by email.
- The faculty member must provide Carol with the following information:
- Name of non-employee
- Visa status of non-employee (if not US citizen or Green Card holder)
- Email address of non-employee
- Duration of time the non-employee will be working with faculty member
- Student status – graduate student, undergraduate student, medical student, etc.
- 2-3 sentences regarding the project the student will be working on
How do I make travel arrangements?
- The cheapest airfare is usually with Council Travel (617-266-1926) through their student discount program.
- Or, you can charge air travel to a fund number for a specific grant through the MGH travel office. Contact Monica Langone (email@example.com) to obtain the correct fund number and authorization.
How do I make slides or posters for conferences?
- Poster printing is available in the Martinos Center in Building 149. See here for details.
- You can get free 35-mm slides or posters printed at Cambridge Photo located on Cambridge Street across from the MGH main campus. They will print slides the same day for a small rush charge. You can also have slides printed at the MGH Radiology Office, Cambridge Photo or in Chinatown (note the fMRI science cover on the wall). In all cases, ask them to charge the expenses to Department of Radiology, Martinos Center.
How can I access electronic journals?
Is there a student mailing list?
How do I get to the Martinos Center?
- Driving: The Martinos Center is located at 149 13th St., Charlestown, MA 02129. Driving directions can be found in Google Maps.
- MGH shuttle from the Main Campus: This shuttle connects to the Red Line at MGH and the Green Line at North Station. The shuttle leaves every 15 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes after 7:15. A schedule can be found here. Select "Massachusetts General Hospital" from the To/From dropdown menu and "MGH Main Campus, North Station, One Constitution Road, Charlestown Navy Yard" from the Schedules dropdown menu.
- Biking: Many people working at the Center choose to bike, either on their own bikes or using the hubway station in front of Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital. For bike owners you can register your bike with MGH police and security and get badge access to a bike cage on the first floor of the 149 parking garage. Enter "149 13th Street" into your GPS to get directions.
- EZ-Ride: The EZRide shuttle connects with the MGH shuttle at North Station, and can be used to reach Cambridge from the North Station area.
- Spaulding Express: The Spaulding Express stops across the street from the Martinos Center. Further information can be found by going to the MGH shuttle page and selecting "Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Boston" from the To/From dropdown menu and "Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Boston, North Station" from the Schedules dropdown menu.
Where should I go if I have further questions?
- For questions not answered here, see the Martinos Center intranet.